An expert was consulted about this article. It was Doctor Nguyen Chi Quang, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Vinmec Central Park Uterine Fibroids International General Hospital.
Patients often wonder and worry. Is surgery for fibroids considered dangerous when surgical removal is indicated? Fibroids are a common disease in women, and many worry and wonder if surgery for fibroids is safe and effective? is surgery for fibroids dangerous? Did you lose a lot of blood during the surgery? The following article will help readers have more information for the above questions.
1. Are uterine fibroids dangerous?
Uterine fibroids are considered. A common gynecological disease. Although the disease is not life-threatening, serious complications arise if not treated promptly
- Due to excessive bleeding on the days of menstruation, anemia makes the body thin and pale
- A large tumor makes the endometrium deformed, the egg cannot implant, leading to infertility or premature birth, miscarriage
- Fibroids formed during pregnancy easily cause the embryo to develop abnormally
- Is the cause leading to gynecological diseases: blocked fallopian tubes, pelvic inflammatory disease, endometritis,
- The disturbance in the menstrual cycle causes hormonal changes in the body,
In order to prevent the harmful effects of uterine fibroids, patients need to see a doctor for timely treatment advice and perform surgery when indicated.
2. Are uterine fibroids a concern and what size fibroids should be removed?
High-risk groups for uterine fibroids include
- The target audience is women between the ages of 30 and 45
- A family member who has had uterine fibroids is 3 times more likely to have this disease than other women
- Uncontrolled weight leads to overweight and obesity. This group has
a 2-3 times higher risk of developing uterine fibroids.
- An unhealthy diet, eating a lot of red meat and fat
- Multiple abortions, early menstruation (before age 12)
Or the patient has feelings such as Heaviness in the abdomen; Abdominal upset; Pain in the lower abdomen or pelvis; When the tumor grows large, it can press on nearby organs, on the bladder causing frequent urination or urinary retention, on the rectum causing constipation or pain when defecating, on the intestines, stomach leading to disorders. digestion. In some cases, uterine fibroids do not require surgical intervention. As a small number of fibroids that only affect the uterus and do not. Medications to treat fibroids.
An indication for uterine fibroid surgery is when a tumor is larger than 50 mm or smaller than 50 mm, but there are symptoms and complications. The medical profession recommends surgery at this time. Exact positioning and removal are important.
For those who want to get pregnant, they can have a normal pregnancy after 1 year from the date of surgery to remove fibroids. Because you should not get pregnant too soon to avoid surgery, the uterus has not had enough time to recover, which will cause many risks of miscarriage.
3. Is the surgery for uterine fibroids dangerous?
- Removal of fibroids
- Eliminate disease symptoms such as pain, abnormal uterine bleeding, and symptoms caused by fibroids.
Uterine fibroid surgery is a safe, non-life-threatening method. However, the doctor will be very careful, depending on the location of the fibroid mass to decide on open surgery or laparoscopic surgery. The procedure is called a hysterectomy if bleeding in the uterus is not stopped after fibroid removal.
Further, the hospitals chosen provide well-maintained medical equipment and surgical instruments, as well as highly qualified specialists and doctors. In order to convey trust, responsibility during surgery should also be considered carefully.
As modern medicine has evolved, there are different uterine fibroid surgery methods such as open surgery, conventional laparoscopic surgery, and robotic laparoscopic surgery. The most common method of treating these uterine fibroids today involves robotic laparoscopic surgery, which involves less invasive surgery to other areas.
Vinmec Central Park General Hospital (HCMC) now provides Robotic Surgery – the use of hand-held robots for digestive and urological procedures – beginning in September 2019. and gynecology.
Laparoscopic surgery and robotic surgery are both comparable to this method, but classic laparoscopic surgery has several advantages:
- Instruments with surgical heads act as flexibly as a wrist joint to help access narrow angles, increase dissection and cause less damage to adjacent areas compared to classical laparoscopic surgery.
- Automated endoscopes through voice. Laser, eye tracking, etc., help doctors actively control and have better vision and control. Increase accuracy and safety in performing surgery Jutsu
- Compactness gives robotic arm surgery the advantage of being less invasive and reducing pain and infection risk. Which allows customers to lose less blood during surgery, recovery. And hopefully a quicker healing process.
- Costs of this procedure and robotic surgery are significantly different.
Patients will be seen by Doctor Nguyen Chi Quang – Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology – Vinmec Central Park International General Hospital. Before becoming a Doctor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Vine Central Park, Dr. Nguyen Chi Quang used to work at Tu Du Hospital and the. University of Medicine and Pharmacy Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City. Having over a decade of experience and strong expertise in treating obstetric and gynecological disease, Dr. Quang specializes in: